September 2019 Newsletter
|3 minute read
Back to School, Back to Fencing!
We hope you have had a lovely summer. Did you take time off? Did you (AHEM) take time off from fencing? Well if it's back to school season for the kids, it's back to fencing for you!! And we have a chock full schedule of exciting STUFF for you this fencing season.
First of all, some Vet Committee News!
- Ann Jolly will be stepping down as Co-Chair (but remain on the Committee), since her work life is full to bursting with good activities, which unfortunately squeezed on the fencing activities.
- Darcy Gates is coming into the Co-Chair role, please welcome him aboard! Darcy has always been an enthusiastic supporter of our activities, so now we've made it official.
- Rob McLean has left our group, having decided that a life of leisure on his boat was preferable to dry land activities. He has promised to show up from time to time at fencing events, so if you see him, ask him about his life of excitement on the sea. Rob was Vet Committee Chair previously and responsible for the website development, so his departure left us with a void.
Fortunately, vet fencers have lots of talents and real-life job skills, and the very talented Karen Laansoo agreed to join us, and has revamped our website. We are very lucky to have Karen join us, and are grateful for her work on the website. For those of you who don't know Karen, meet her virtually by checking out her profile.
Have you filled out YOUR profile so that we can get to know YOU better?
Now, on to the fencing!
Some of you may not know that Canada will be hosting the 2020 Commonwealth Veterans Fencing Championships (CVFC 2020) at the Markham Pan-Am Center, Unionville, Ontario, from July 23-26, 2020. This is an AMAZING opportunity to gear up and get ready for that, and your friendly OFA Vet Committee has just the plan for you. Get you all trained up and ready to go!
Our first event is courtesy of TFC and Yoann LeBrun, who have opened their doors to our Vet Community, and have arranged for two events (on one weekend, September 27/28).
- Friday will be a Drop-In Fencing and Social Event
- Saturday will be a Saturday will be a Full Day Training Camp, all weapons!!
If you can't do both events, you're more than welcome to do only one! Check out the details at the posted links.
For those of you who haven't met Yoann, he is Team Canada's Women's Foil Coach and also coaches all three weapons. We are extremely fortunate to have him working with us on Vet Events, and hope you will come out and meet him. He loves fencing like we do, he's just lucky enough to do it every day!
"I started fencing when I was 4 years old. Now, I've been a coach for 20 years. Fencing is my passion, never do I wake up and say I'll work today, no, today, I will fence!!!"
- 2000-04 coach Le masque de fer de Lyon ( France)
- 2004-08 head coach Le masque de fer de Lyon ( France) 3 times team world champion men foil senior 2005 Bronze
- medal world championship men foil senior
- 2008-2015 head coach Olympique center of Tauberbischofsheim (Germany)
- 2013 silver medal world championship women foil senior
- 2016 team Canada coach women foil
We all look forward to seeing you at the Vet events! Pass this on to your friends, let everyone know where and when they are.
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Vet Committee